EARTH DAY -
It’s Earth Day … what are you reading? Are your reading habits changing for the sake of the environment? What are you doing for the sake of the planet today?
I am currently reading The Know It All by A. J. Jacobs, a satire written by a journalist about his experience reading the entire Encyclopedia Britannica. I am thoroughly enjoying it.
My reading habits have changed
- I recycle all magazines and newspapers
- Share my books with neighbors, colleagues, family and students
- Purchased an e-reader
- Use reusable shopping bags wherever we shop, not just the grocery store. Most of them are made of recycled materials.
- Switching out all lightbulbs to more energy efficient ones
- Grow our own produce - we started a rather large suburban garden last year and I did not have to purchase much produce last summer and fall. We expanded this year to blueberries, strawberries, potatoes and sweet potatoes.
- Installed a water barrel to use to water vegetables, fruits and flowers
- Turn off lights when we leave the room (we are still working on this one!)
- Recycle as much as possible
- Use BPA free reusable water bottles
- Cook at home as much as possible
We have a long way to go, but I believe our family has made some positive changes in the past year. How about you? What are you doing to "make your world a better place"?