Background

Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Banned Book Week

This is Banned Book Week, so I did a bit of research on books that have been banned in the US.  I am always amazed at the books people tend to challenge or ban and their reasons behind those decisions.  A school system in Georgia several years ago had to fight a parent to keep the Harry Potter books on the shelves of their middle and high schools.  The fight went all the way to the school board, not once, not twice, but three times before it was finally defeated and the books were allowed to stay on the shelves.  I am all for censoring what my kids read, but should my opinions infringe upon the choices of others?  I don't believe so.  Do not deprive others of the choice to read a certain book based upon your values and beliefs, please allow me to do that for myself.  OK, off my soapbox now.....


There are several lists of banned books to be found online.  I randomly selected this one from Adler Books.  Upon reading the list, I found several of my favorite and most memorable books on the list (*books are books I was assigned to read for school assignments)-


To Kill a Mockingbird*
The Grapes of Wrath*
The Bastard
Prince of Tides*
100 Years of Solitude
How to Eat Fried Worms
Forever
Fahrenheit 451
A Wrinkle in Time
Flowers for Algernon*
Decameron*
Bridge to Terabithia


What banned books have you read?

1 comment:

  1. I can't believe the books on your list?!!! Those are some really great classic books! It's insane that they wanted to ban them. If someone doesn't want his own children reading a book, he should tell them they can't read it. I don't like other parents imposing their views on me or my family. I just don't understand these people!

    ReplyDelete