Background

Monday, July 27, 2009

The Sunday Salon




This week found my family at the beach sharing a beautiful beach house with our neighbors. It was a fantastic week. Our kids are all the same age and get along wonderfully. Our husbands are friends and have similar interests, but the best part of the trip was that my neighbor Julie is a reader. Leaving hours of beach and pool time open, not to mundanely talk about the too small bikini on the lady next to use, but to read fabulous and wonderful books!

During the 4 perfect days we spent on the Emerald Coast, I finished The Russian Concubine by Kay Furnivall, started and finished The Book Thief by Markus Zusak and begain Ray Bradbury’s Fahrenheit 451. It was a very successful reading trip. Reviews of all books will follow soon, but I enjoyed The Russian Concubine so much I went out and bought the sequel, The Girl from Junchow to read next. The Book Thief was an excellent read, so much so, I am thinking of making it required reading in my AP European History class this fall. Fahrenheit 451 is my book club selection for this month. My students can’t believe I have not read this classic, but I am enjoying it so far. I do not read futuristic novels, but this one has grabbed my attention. We shall see. My goal is to finish before I start back to school on August 3rd.

2 comments:

  1. Oooo! Jenny liked a book and bought the sequel! Are you going to get me hooked on another series now? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. So far there are only 2, but they are good. I will pass them on to you.

    ReplyDelete