Background

Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Fall Into Reading Challenge

Today is the first day of fall, my favorite season. I love the colors, smells, holiday, temperatures of fall. I also love fall because it means it is time for Katrina’s Fall Into Reading Challenge! (I have a confession to make, I only began blogging so I could participate in Katrina’s Spring Fling Reading Challenge. It just looked like so much fun.)

I have spent days putting together my list of books to read – I really am a geek – and I’m still not sure I like it. See, Book Blogger Appreciation Week was last week and as I discovered so many new, amazing book blogs, I also found so many more books I wanted to read. Compound that with the books I need to read for school, and the fact that my family will demand clean clothes and food to eat over the next 3 months and you see my dilemma.

Well, anyway here is what I am starting with … I reserve the right to change this list at anytime -

Required for School –
A World Lit Only By Fire by William Manchester ( I am almost finished with this one)
A Tale of Two Cities by Charles Dickens (started, but it is slowwwww going)

Book Club Books –
September - The Namesake by Jhumpa Lahiri
October - The Mulberry Tree by Jude Deveraux
November – TBD
December - TBD

Fiction –
The Last Queen by C. W. Gortner
The Girl from Junchow by Kate Furnivall
The Dowry Bride by Shobhan Bantwal
Portrait of an Unknown Woman by Vanora Bennett
The Brothers Boswell by Philip Baruth
The Help by Kathryn Stockett

Non-Fiction –
How to Read Literature Like a Professor by Thomas Foster
Naked Economics by Charles Wheelan
Sex with Kings by Eleanor Herman (started)

And, that’s it. For me this is rather ambitious and I hope I can read most of these - to be honest, I really don’t think I can finish A Tale of Two Cities. There are several books on this list that have been sitting on my TBR shelf for too long and I am determined to read them. Good Luck to everyone participating. I look forward to your reviews and adding some of your suggestions to my ever growing list.

11 comments:

  1. Good luck to you, too! :)

    ~MizB

    ReplyDelete
  2. I absolutely LOVED The Help! Good luck with your challenge :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have the audiobook of The Help loaded on my iPod but haven't started it yet. And How to Read Literature Like a Professor looks intriguing...might have to check that one out.

    Thanks for joining the challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Interesting books. I've only heard of The Help. Good luck with your reading. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I listened to The Help, and just loved it! It may be my favorite audio of the year. Read A Tale of Two Cities a couple years ago. Glad I did, but definitely slow. Good luck with your lists!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your list and my "book history" have the most overlap of anyone else so far! We must have very similar tastes. I'm reading Brothers Boswell now, loved The Help and The Last Queen. Struggled through Tale of Two Cities afer it was suggested as a follow up for a historical fiction book I read about Marie Antoinette. I haven't got Namesake yet but have enjoyed others by her! Good luck with the challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great stack you have planned to read. I have The Girl From Junchow on mine too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks like a good list! I read A Tale of Two Cities for a book club.. it picks up.. and I ended up really enjoying it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've never read A Tale of Two Cities but keep meaning to add it to my list as one of those books to read because it's there. Happy fall reading and good luck with the rest of your list!

    ReplyDelete
  10. We have the `A Tale of Two Cities`
    Maybe I'll add it in the Spring.
    Looking forward to your review of it.
    Good Luck
    Joyful

    http://apudiem.com/2009/09/18/my-fall-into-reading-2009-list/

    ReplyDelete