Background

Sunday, September 27, 2009

The Sunday Salon - September 27th

Today is a BEAUTIFUL, sunny day and it is much welcomed after the 2 weeks of rain and flooding in Georgia. Most of the day I spent watching my daughter paint. She is determined to enter the school art contest this week and she had devoted hours today to creating a variety of water colors to choose from. She has quite a variety, from owls to flowers to steaming cups of coffee. I am not sure which she will choose, I however have a favorite, but I am trying REALLY hard not to push her towards my choice. We shall see.

My back porch did call to me for a couple of hours today where I finished A World Lit Only by Fire by William Manchester. I required my AP European History students to read this and I am just finishing the last part on Magellan's voyage and the impact it had on European thought. The book itself is an intriguing look at the transition from the Medieval world to the Renasissance and Reformation. It it an interesting read, even my students will admit that, full of little known tidbits about life in the Middle Ages. Manchester is the author of several other books and his historical research is, I believe, impeccible. His writing style is conversational and easy to follow, even when the history is complicated.

Next on my list is to finish Sex with Kings by Eleanor Herman.

1 comment:

  1. Congratulations to your daughter on working so hard on her entry. :-)

    ReplyDelete